MBI (management buy-in) in Europe
The rich and versatile background of our team helps you look at an MBI (management buy-in) from a new perspective. An MBI occurs when the acquiring manager or management team from outside the company raises the necessary funds for a takeover and becomes the company’s new management. We help you with selecting the right business, assessing and improving the quality of the management team, arranging financing, giving advice on the business plan, and looking at legal and tax issues.
The main questions we can answer:
- Which companies would be suitable takeover candidates? (industry and target analysis)
- Is it best to purchase shares or should we buy specific assets/activities?
- What is your advice regarding a company’s value and what is the best negotiation strategy?
- Which alternatives exist to arrange financing?
- Which legal and tax aspects should be considered?
Below, we describe the overall process we go through when performing an MBI. If you require more detailed information or have specific questions, let us know by email.
The MBI process (in 5 separate phases):
Phase 1: Preparation
Phase 2: Market analysis
Phase 3: Negotiations
Phase 4: The transaction
Phase 5: Integration
Phase 1: preparation of the management buy-in:“hunting together!”
- Insight into your background and objectives
- Identification of your vision and strategy
- Brainstorm on the ideal company (search profile)
- Determining the requirements for financing
Phase 2: market analysis
“from long list to shortlist”
- Putting together a long list of candidates for acquisition
- Getting to a shortlist based on the search profile
- Comparing candidates on the shortlist
- Discussing the analyses of shortlist candidates and agreement on companies to approach
- Anonymous approach
Phase 3: negotiations
“selecting the best company at an attractive price”
- Selecting the ideal acquisition target
- Valuing a target (based on various methods)
- Negotiating the takeover bid and other conditions
- Discussing the current management’s future and other important conditions
Phase 4: the transaction:
- Giving an internal okay for a definite purchase decision
- Signing an LOI (letter of intent)
- Investigating the books (due diligence)
- Arranging funds
- Signing the SPA (share purchase agreement)
Phase 5: integration
“a new start”
- Building a relationship with the new employees
- Having the current management help you with the transfer and integration (using their expertise)
- Informing customers (expanding customer relations)
- Integrating the new organization (streamlining processes and cost savings)
European Corporate Finance
We provide our services in all European countries. Due to our team’s native skills, the following countries have our special attention: the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. Corporate Finance in Europe (CFIE) is highly qualified to help with M&A advice, consultancy, valuation, taxes, and legal matters. See more details on M&A advisers.
Feel free to contact us for more information about our management buy-in services. If you have serious plans for an MBI, get more information about our references or background.